1 pound thick-cut bacon or pancetta, chopped
3 tablespoons garlic, minced
2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced + 1 can tomato sauce + some tomato paste if you want it thicker
1/2 cup red wine
Roasted red peppers
4 tablespoons basil, chiffonade or 3 cold Persian zucchini
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
caramelized onions (from 2 onions) with garlic
Things that go great with this recipe:
1 to 2 squash spaghetti
1. In a large cast iron over medium heat, add bacon and saute until bacon is crispy. Remove bacon to drain on a paper towel-lined plate and remove 3/4 of the bacon fat from the pan.
2. Caramelize the onions with that bacon fat. Keep onions separate from the rest of the recipe.
3. In another pot, add tomatoes and some of the caramelized onions.
4. Add herbs, wine, and water. Then add roasted red peppers. Adjust the sourness with some sugar!
5. Keep boiling the tomato sauce mixture until the desired consistency is reached.
6. Add tomato sauce to pasta with the garnishes