Chinese Steamed Taro Cake, Wu Tau Gou
7 Chinese mushrooms, pre-soaked and cubed
4 Scallops, pre-soaked, partially shredded
600g (1.3lb) Thai Taro, peeled and 0.75inch by 0.75inch cubed
1 Chinese sausage, cut into 1/4 strand and then cubed
20g dried shrimps, cut into small pieces if they are bigger shrimps (buy the salty dried shrimp for flavor)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 to 2 tsp Oyster Sauce
170g of rice flour
0. Pre-soak mushrooms at least 2 hours before starting step 1. Keep the soaking water. They will be used as seasoning for the taro. After the mushrooms have been cubed, marinate mushrooms in soy sauce and sugar. Pre-soak scallops for 1 hour (not too long or else the scallop itself will lose flavor)
1. Fry the Chinese sausages on medium heat until they release oil. With a cast iron, warm the pan for 2~3 minutes. Turn off and heat. Use the residual heat to from steps 2. to 3.
2. After the Chinese sausages release oil, add dried shrimp and stir fry for 1 min
3. Add Chinese mushrooms pieces and shredded dried scallops, and stir fry for 1 min
4. Turn off heat if you are using a non-stick pan, and leave mixture on stove for 1 more min before moving the mixture to a bowl. Save the pan with the remaining oil mixture to use for the taro.
5. To prepare the seasoning, pour 300 mL of water (including water from soaking mushrooms and scallops) into a bowl
6. Add 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of salt, 1 to 2 tsp of Oyster Sauce to the water and stir well.
7. Using the same pan the Chinese sausage mixture was cooked in, fry the taro until slightly golden on medium-high heat.
8. When the taro becomes slightly golden brown, set aside 1/3 portion of all the taro into the mushroom/scallop/shrimp mixture.
9. Add the seasoning to the pan with the remaining 2/3 of the taro. Stir the seasoning well before pouring it into the pan
10. Bring the pan to a boil, then cover with a lid.
11. Turn off the heat, and leave the pan and lid on the stove for 15 mins
12. To prepare the flour mix, shift 170 grams of rice flour into a bowl and add 300mL of water.
13. After 15 minutes, pour in the 1/3 portion of taro, scallop/mushroom/shrimp mixture. Add 100mL to 300 mL of tap water. Bring to a boil.
14. When the water boils, bring the lowest heat. Add in rice flour/water mixture. Stir well in one direction.