– 2 sections lotus root, about 400g
– 250g pork ribs
– 1 carrot, peeled and cut to small chunks
– 6 dried scallops (optional)
– 1 dried cuttlefish (optional)
– 10 dried pitted red dates
– 1.5 litres water
– 100g de-shelled raw peanuts
1. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the lotus root and cut to slices.
2. Blanch pork ribs in boiling water for about 5 minutes, to remove the dirty bits so that you have clear soup later. Rinse blanched pork pieces and set aside.
3. In a pot, add water, lotus root slices, carrots, blanched pork ribs, peanuts, dried scallops, dried cuttlefish and red dates.
4. When soup comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the pork is tender. Discard dried octopus. Season with salt.