– 1 cup rice
– water to cook rice
– 1/2 chicken (about 650g), chopped
– 2 lup cheong/Chinese sausages, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes before removing wax covering*, slice diagonally
– 1 tsp dark soy sauce
– 1 tbsp oyster sauce
– a piece of ginger
* thanks reader Michell for sharing the tip via comments
– rice cooker
Directions (Step-by-Step Photos)
2. Grate some ginger and squeeze the pulp to get about 2 tsp ginger juice. According to my mum, this step is very important but when I’m busy, I just substitute this step with a few slices of ginger. Add the juice to the marinated chicken pieces.
5. Open the lid of the rice cooker to check when the rice is almost 3/4 cooked (the water is almost dried up). Each rice cooker is different and will take different timing to reach this state. for mine, it takes 20 minutes.
6. At this point, add the chicken, lup cheong and a few slices of ginger. I did not add the leftover marinade sauce as it will cause the rice to become soggy. Close the rice cooker lid and continue cooking. My rice cooker cook for a further 20 minutes before it sounds the chime indicating the rice is done . You should “keep warm” the food for at least another 20 minutes after the rice is cooked to ensure that the chicken and lup cheong is cooked through.