– 500g chicken, skin removed (I use 3 large chicken drumsticks, you can also use half chicken or chicken thighs, chopped to rough pieces)
– 1 litre of water
– 5 slices of ginger
– 1 daikon (white radish/白萝卜), about 300g, peeled and cut to large chunks
– 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
– 1 tbsp wolfberries, soaked in water till puffy
– 3 dried scallops
A basic “keep warm/cook” electronic rice cooker
1. Add water to the rice cooker pot, set to “Cook’. When the water boils, add chicken in the rice cooker for 5-8 minutes with the rice cooker covered and discard the first change of cooking liquid. Set aside blanched chicken pieces.
2. Add 1 litre of water to the rice cooker pot, cover and set to ‘Cook’.
3. When the water boils, add chicken, daikon, mushrooms, dried scallops and ginger. Cover the rice cooker and return to a boil. I leave the soup in the ‘Cook’ mode for about 45 minutes.
4. Switch the rice cooker to ‘Warm’ and allow to simmer for at least another 1-2 hours. 15 to 30 minutes before serving the soup, add the soaked wolfberries. Add salt to taste.