5 pounds Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Boiled Until Fork Tender
8 whole Egg Yolks
1 stick Butter, Softened
2 teaspoons Salt, More Or Less To Taste
Plenty Of Black Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg (more To Taste)
1-1/4 cup Heavy Cream
1 whole Egg
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lay boiled potatoes on a baking sheet and place into the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until slightly dried on the surface.
3. Remove the potatoes from the oven and process potatoes through a ricer or food mill.
4. Allow to cool in a bowl for about 5 minutes.
5. Add egg yolks, butter, a couple of generous pinches of salt, a generous pinch of pepper, a pinch of nutmeg and 3/4 cup cream. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine. Taste and make sure the potatoes have been adequately salted.
6. Transfer to a large pastry bag and pipe through a large star tip in a circular/upward spiral motion.
7. Make an egg wash by mixing 1 egg with 1/2 cup heavy cream. Lightly brush the piped potatoes with egg wash. (This is a little easier if you chill the piped potatoes for half an hour or so.)
8. Bake at 375 until golden brown around the edges. Serve on a pretty platter!
(Adapted from http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/12/duchess-potatoes/)