Ingredients for ~15 cakes
500g rice flour
100g tapioca starch
7g single acting yeast
400mL coconut milk
300g sugar (1.6 cups)
1. Dissolve sugar and coconut milk on low heat. Let it cool to room temperature.
2. Mix rice flour and tapioca starch in a mixing bowl. Add yeast to 450mL of warm water. Knead for 10 minutes.
3. Mix 1. and 2. until everything has dissolved.
4. Let it sit in a warm oven for at least 1 hours until the batter rises and many small bubbles appear.
5. Steam each batch for 15~17 minutes. (High heat) Watch out for the water level of your pot!
6. Dip spoon in water. Use spoon to scoop out the Banh Bo from the bowls.
7. Mark batches with yellow/red dot.
8. Brush oil on top. Wrap in aluminum foil to keep moisture.
Ceramic vs glass?
Steam at lower heat?
Be careful of pot water level when steaming!
Try an egg!
(Adapted from Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7M8eJDIu9o
(Adapted from Instructions: http://www.danangcuisine.com/2011/05/recipe-4-banh-bo.html)
Coconut Milk Sauce:
Cook 1 can coconut milk with 2-3 tbsp sugar, pinch of salt, and 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch. Remember to stir and not let it bubble up or stick to the pan. Add more sugar if needed. If you like the sauce to be thin then us less corn starch.
(Adapted from http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/716163-banh-bo-cow-cake-)
(Adapted from http://pwmf.blogspot.com/2005/10/bnh-b-steamed-rice-cakes.html)
Indonesian Similar Name: Apem Selong