2.5 pounds of ox bones
2 pounds beef flank (or brisket or round)
Korean radish (or Daikon radish)
black ground pepper
1. Soak the ox bones and the beef in cold water for 30 minutes to remove any blood.
2. Rinse bones in cold water a couple of times to remove any bone chips. Drain the water.
Preboil (Bones and Beef)
3. Boil 14 cups water in a large pot.
4. Add and boil bones and beef for 10 minutes.
5. Toss the water. Rinse bones and beef in cold water.
6. Return bones and beef back to a cleaned pot.
Boil #1 (Bones and Beef)
7. Add 12 cups of water into the pot. Boil for 20~30 minutes, lower the heat to simmer for 3 hours.
8. The soup should be yellow and cloudy with bone marrow. Pour the broth to keep for another recipe. This yellow soup has too many impurities that would cloud the white appearance of 설렁탕. Rinse bones and beef in cold water.
Boil #2 (Bones + Vegetables)
9. Add 12 cups of water (3 quarts), 1 medium size onion, and 1½ pounds of peeled radish to the pot.
10. Boil for 20-30 minutes later and lower the heat to simmer for 3 hours.
11. Take the beef and radish. Pour the white milky broth into another container. Rinse bones and beef in cold water.
*tip: Use your chopstick to check the beef and radish are cooked well. Poke the meat with the stainless chopstick or fork. When it is smoothly going through the meat, the meat is tender enough. If it’s still tough, add more water and boil it until tender.
Boil #3 (Bones)
12. Add 12 cups of water to the pot
13. Boil for 20-30 minutes later and lower the heat to simmer for 3 hours
14. Pour any white milky broth to the large bowl from step 11.
Boil #4 (Bones)
15. Add 12 cups of water to the pot
16. Boil for 20-30 minutes later and lower the heat to simmer for 3 hours
17. Pour any white milky broth to the large bowl from step 11.
18. Cool down the bone soup and cover it with plastic wrap. Keep it in the refrigerator for several hours until all the fat floats to the top and gets solid.
1. Take the bone soup out of the fridge. Remove the solid fat from the top with a spoon or strainer.
2. Slice the cooked beef thinly, about 1/8 inch thick. Cut radish into ¼ inch thick slices
3. Reheat the bone soup and ladle the soup into a serving bowl.
4. Add a few slices of the beef and radish to the soup. Serve with warm rice and kimchi, along with chopped green onions, minced garlic, salt, and black ground pepper.
5. Add some salt, chopped green onion, and black ground pepper to the soup. Mix it well with your spoon. You can add warm rice to the soup and enjoy!
*tip: The amount of salt you put in depends on your taste, but I suggest starting with 1 ts and adding more if it’s too bland.