¼ cup vegetable oil to 1 cup sesame seeds
1. Preheat your oven to 340°F (170° C).
2. Spread your sesame seeds on a roasting tray, and toast in the oven for 15 minutes, stirring regularly to toast evenly. Do not allow to brown as this impairs the flavor. Remove the sesame seeds from the oven and allow to cool briefly.
3. Put the toasted sesame seeds in your food processor, with metal blades fitted, and add half the oil.
Process the mixture on a high setting for a minute, stopping to clean the sides of the food processor with a spatula from time to time.
3. Add the rest of the oil, and continue to process the seeds to a paste, again cleaning the sides regularly and ensuring that the paste still covers the blades. Ensure that all the mix is blended to a paste. This can be a somewhat messy process but stick with it.
4. When the mixture is evenly smooth, and further processing does not further refine the texture, transfer your tahini to a tight fitting glass jar using a flexible spatula, if you have one, to reduce waste.
Tahini may be kept in the refrigerator for many weeks in a well sealed jar.